Selling on Etsy is an excellent way to earn money using your creativity. With the platform booming, it has become straightforward to use your artistic flair to sell custom products, from jewelry to paintings and everything in between. When Etsy was born in 2005, no one could have predicted it to become this massive. It has become a trusted marketplace that has stood the test of time and is ultra-popular among creatives, artists, designers, etc., to sell their goods. But, many also have doubts regarding scaling up and sustainability. Now, we will be honest here, it is not a get-rich-quick scheme, and to earn big bucks, develop an entrepreneurial mindset.
Reasons to sell custom products on Etsy:
- In 2022, around 8 million sellers sold on the platform; it was 5 million active sellers the previous year.
- There are over 96 million active buyers worldwide.
- 40% of buyers are repeat customers.
- In 2021, the sale was $13.5 billion. It was up from $10.2 billion from the previous year.
The figures prove it is growing. If you have something original to share with people, it is the place.
Who can sell on Etsy?
Their focus has always been on artists or creative communities where creators can sell custom products that people can not find in branded retail stores. You might wonder how to make money by making nothing. Do not worry. It is possible to earn by selling custom products. They allow you to use a third-party manufacturer, like EverLighten, to customize the items. However, you must show your involvement in the creative process. Their guidelines grant permission to design products you can get from an outside supplier.
Benefits of selling custom products on Etsy:
- Existing audience:one issue entrepreneurs face is not getting enough people to look at their products. However, it is not an issue with Etsy. You have an enormous market of potential buyers. They actively search for the items. You can spend more time on creating and less on marketing and promotions. For example, if you want to make money by selling custom socks or t-shirts, the algorithms help customers find the products they want.
- Easy payments:In a world where cyber fraud is rampant, people hesitate to buy from a new seller because of the same. As a creator, you can skip the hassle of figuring out secure payments for your customers. The platform provides secure logins and various safe ways for payments.
- Need less money to start:Running your website has some costs, like hosting, domain, designing, running, etc. It can be challenging in the beginning. Etsy takes care of it; you still have to pay fees like listing, transaction, payment processing, etc. But, it is more budget-friendly than self-hosting, and you can use the resources for products and marketing.
- Complement your other channels:You can develop a multichannel selling strategy using Etsy. It will allow prospects to buy your items all over the internet.
You can offer a convenient experience and also get multiple streams of income. Working across various channels also improves the conversion and success rate.
What products can you sell?
You can find a home for a massive number of products on Etsy. From t-shirts to hats to keychains and mugs, you have unlimited options. We will not provide an exhaustive list of products - that can make the blog long. Here are a few custom products that sell pretty well.
Custom apparel sells well on Etsy. The first decision you need to make is about the type of clothes you want to sell. You can charge more if you spend hours creating a single piece because they are one-of-a-kind. Here is the good news: people pay for such unique products. However, if multiple buyers are interested in a single piece, you can only sell it to one of them. It is where the manufacturers like EverLighten come to play. Instead of creating everything on your own, you can outsource. For example, keep an inventory of 100 and when they sell out, order again. It provides a better chance of regular income. High-quality photographs carry a lot of weight on the platform. For repeated designs, spend time crafting a product page; include clear images and detailed listing. It will help you sell customized apparel to multiple customers.
- Custom jersey
- Custom flannel shirts
- Custom t-shirts
- Custom hoodies
- Custom sweaters
- Custom face boxer shorts
- Custom scarves
- Custom neck gaiters
- Custom face masks
Custom socks deserve a separate category because of the demand and variety. If you have a design, you can create a variety of socks, like a dress, athletic, baby, yoga, etc. However, be mindful that people on Etsy do not want cheap quality. Use premium materials like combed or organic cotton, merino wool, silk, bamboo, etc. Another vital point: before selling the same design as apparel, check how it looks on socks.
Custom hats and beanies are other products that do well. Top sellers include dad hats, baseball caps, truckers hats, etc. Beanies like cuffed, cuffless, pom-pom, fishers, slouched, etc., sell more.
Custom patches with unique artwork are popular among people, especially younger audiences. They decorate jeans, t-shirts, backpacks, jackets, hats, beanies, etc. Create in various styles and materials, like embroidered, woven, chenille, leather, and printed.
Custom drinkware like mugs, tumblers, koozies, etc., sell like hotcakes. Do mind the quality and artwork; people are not there to get generic ones.
Custom plush toys and stuffed pillows are profitable products. They are in high demand, especially during events like Valentine’s day, Christmas, etc.
Custom stickers and Etsy go hand-in-hand; all kinds of stickers are profitable. According to the data, even hobbyists can make around $1 k selling unique designs. The market is still in its early phases and will grow. There are plenty of customers looking for them.
Custom lapel pins help express creativity and style. They also connect like-minded people worldwide. Most pins sell between $8 to $12. But with a unique design, you can charge much more. Partnering with a manufacturer like EverLighten can provide healthy margins.
Custom keychains like metal, embroidered, full-color, PVC, wood, etc., have a massive market on Etsy. People buy unique keychains for personal use, gifts, and giveaways; they provide a high-profit margin.
Custom-sewn flags in every size do pretty well on the platform. Like patches, people use them for all kinds of things, from decorations to show support for a cause. Give your unique twist to them to make them more attractive.
Custom phone cases were not allowed a few years back because they were not vintage or craft. However, things have changed, and it has become one of the best marketplaces to sell them. One of the effective ways to stand out from the competition is to offer trendy and original designs for the most popular phones.
Custom mouse pads have grown steadily and have high demand. You want unique artwork with high-quality materials.
Custom tote bags are a popular and fast-growing category on Etsy. They provide enough surface area to showcase your creativity. With the awareness of environmental issues, the demand is going to rise. Use organic or eco-friendly materials.
Tips for selling custom products on Etsy:
- Know your audience:Consider who you want to reach. What do the current customers look like right now on the platform? Know what sells the best, but do not follow the crowd. For example, if you have dreamed of selling custom socks, there is no point in selling hats. It is one thing to do for money and different if it is your passion. Find your audience by focusing on yourself. What do you like? Sewing, hiking, yoga, lifting weights, etc. Write and design around these ideas; you will increase the possibility of success. If you are a police officer or a veteran, creating a military brand could be the way forward.
- Create high-quality items:The best-selling custom products are the ones with various characteristics. But quality matters. Etsy is not one of those marketplaces where customers come for generic products.
Quality products, images, and customer service are the key to becoming a successful seller on Etsy. It means going the distance and keeping an extra eye on everything. When you connect with EverLighten, you do not have to worry about the products; you can focus on other vital tasks. Once your sales roll, customers will leave reviews that will help you further.
- Use many designs: You have lovely artwork that you want to get out there with custom t-shirts. Do not stop there. The algorithm rewards people with more products. Keep coming up with new items and artwork. For example, one of the most successful stores on the platform has over 1840 products.
- Use social media like Instagram and Pinterest to showcase and guide people to your store.
- Use ads and tags, and offer free shipping.
Ready to start:
There are many ways to sell custom items. But, if you are an artist or an entrepreneur with lovely ideas, Etsy is the right platform. Understand your market, and create quality artwork and products. You can earn a sustainable income with the right idea and hard work. Connect with a reliable manufacturer for high-quality custom products. EverLighten has helped many entrepreneurs start and run their businesses successfully.
Recently, we have helped Trip Good and Authentic Apparel Clothing Co. expand their product line with custom socks. The first wanted NBA-quality socks. For the second company, we customized socks and hangtags for branding.
You can read the full story here https://everlighten.com/blogs/success-stories/trip-good-custom-athletic-socks.
- Best value: We manufacture custom items in our factory, which helps customers to get the best cost in the industry.
- Top quality: Customers get their products customized with the best materials, production, and packaging.
- Fast turnaround: our factory helps deliver every order in the least time.
- 24*7 support: You can contact the customer support team anytime.
- Customer-oriented: We love helping people and accept every order.
- Limitless customization: Customers can customize every aspect - materials, colors, styles, and artwork technique.
- No MOQ: We offer no minimum order limit on products.
- Comprehensive delivery: EverLighten delivers worldwide, and customers can track their orders with an online tool.
For more information, inquiry, and ordering, visit https://everlighten.com/collections/all.
Tags: custom products