Custom plush toys or stuffed toys are cute, cuddly, and playful. They are a timeless classic; everyone loves them, including children and adults. Watching a kid play with them is cute until you know where they have been - the sandbox, car trunk, pet’s mouth, etc. Stuffed toys go through a lot during their average day, and that’s when you need to clean them. However, be careful about it; some may not be machine-washable. The blog will provide you with every information about cleaning custom plush toys.
Taking care of custom plush toys:
How often should you clean plush toys?
- If you apply soap, be sure to remove all of it and check for residue because it will attract new dirt and create a spot.
- For putting the toys in the washing machine, ensure to use cold water and mild detergent. Keep the plush toy inside a pillowcase to stop the eyes, nose, ears, etc., from getting scuffed. Avoid a fabric softener because it can leave a sticky residue on the fur.
- Do not put the heavy plushie in a washing machine. Sometimes, the center spindle of the device can damage them. In other cases, the stuffed toys can damage them.
- Do not put custom plush toys in the dryer because the heat can scorch the fur and cause irreversible damage.
- To avoid odors, place the damp or wet plush toy in the open air or under a fan.
- Smoothen the fur with a comb or hands while the plushie is wet to avoid a disheveled appearance after becoming dry.
Things you would require:
- Laundry tub or sink
- Mesh laundry bag
- Gentle or regular laundry detergent
- Resealable plastic bag
- Gentle detergent
- Oxygen-based bleach
- Cornstarch or baking soda
- Wipe the toy with a damp cloth and remove the residue.
- Use a stiff brush with wide bristles to brush the fur.
- Fluff the hair diligently while alternating between wiping and brushing in every direction.
Checking for machine washing:
- Check the plush toy for structure - is it firm or loose?
- Does it contain a voice box?
- Can it bend in various positions because of internal wires?
- Does it have stiffeners or joints?
- Is it huge for the machine?
- Remove all accessories from the plushie, like t-shirts, shoes, hats, etc.
- Please keep them in a soft bag or pillowcase and close them. You can wash several toys using the bag method.
- Secure the bag using a shoestring or thread.
- Ensure the washing machine is empty; you don’t want the colors to blend with other clothes.
- Put the stuffed toy in the machine and choose a gentle cycle with a cold wash or rinse.
- Use the mild detergent; use the same one you used for spot cleaning.
- If possible, use a front-loading machine to avoid damage by the center agitator.
- You can air dry them, but they might be damp for several days and risk mildew.
- Drying them on a window or clothesline can freshen them and reduce the possibility of mold/ fungus.
- You can also place them near a dehumidifier for a couple of days to make the process fast.
- Another method is to use a blow dryer in a non-heat setting; it works lovely for a quick dry.
For machine drying:
- Leave the clean plushie in the bag and use a gentle, short cycle with a low-temperature setting.
- Check them occasionally.
- Do not place them in the dryer for an extended time; a couple of short cycles can get them dry sufficiently for air drying.
Taking care of odors:
Tips to prolong the life of custom plush toys:
- For non-washable toys, you might need surgery. Take out the stuffing by splitting the side seam carefully. Hand-wash the outer layer with a delicate detergent. See all the instructions mentioned above for spot cleaning. Replace the original filling or substitute it; polyester fiberfill is available that is 100% washable. Stitch the toy again.
- Please verify the plushies for rips and damages like slacking eyes, decorations, etc. Repair it quickly to avoid further damage.
- Do not forget to wash plush toys used for comforting sick people.
- Drop a small drop of diluted detergent on the inside part or veiled region for spot testing. If the color becomes lighter, use only water for cleaning.
- Use a laundry sanitizer to disinfect it. Avoid disinfectant because the spray can ruin the fur.
Benefits of working with EverLighten:
- Best pricing: EverLighten creates every plush toy in their factory, which helps customers to get the best prices.
- High-quality: Customers get the highest-quality custom plushie with the best materials and the latest processes.
- Fast delivery: The dedicated factory helps every order in the least time.
- Customer service: You can contact us anytime for queries; we provide 24*7 service.
- Customer-centric: They love helping every customer create their dream plushies.
- 100% customization: Customers can customize every aspect of their stuffed toys.
- Lowest order quantity: you can order as many custom plushies as you need; we have the lowest minimum limit in the industry.
- Worldwide delivery: They deliver to every part of the world, and customers can track orders with the online tool.
How do you clean plush toys without ruining them?
The best way to clean a plush toy depends on the material. Here are some general guidelines:
- Hand washing is the best option for delicate materials like silk or velvet. Fill a sink with cool water and add a small amount of mild detergent. Gently wash the toy, taking care not to scrub it too hard. Rinse the toy thoroughly and then air dry it.
- You can machine wash the toy with sturdier materials, like cotton or polyester. Place the toy in a mesh laundry bag to protect it from damage. Wash using a delicate cycle with cold water and a mild detergent. Air dry the toy completely.
- To remove stains, spot-clean the toy with a mild detergent, vinegar, and water. Apply the solution to the stain with a clean cloth and let it sit for a few minutes. Rinse the stain with clean water and then air dry the toy.
How do you take care of a plush toy?
Here are some tips for taking care of a plush toy:
- Store the toy in a clean, dry place. It will help to prevent mold and mildew from growing on the toy.
- Regularly brush the toy to remove dust and dirt. It will help to keep the toy looking its best.
- Wash the toy as needed. Follow the cleaning instructions for the specific material of the toy.
- Avoid exposing the toy to harsh chemicals or direct sunlight. It can damage the toy and make it fade.
How do you disinfect plush toys?
There are a few ways to disinfect plush toys:
- Machine wash the toy in the hottest water setting. It will kill most bacteria and viruses.
- Steam clean the toy. It is a good option for toys that cannot be machine-washed.
- Soak the toy in a solution of white vinegar and water. It will kill most bacteria and viruses.
How do you keep stuffed animals fluffy after washing?
To keep your stuffed animals fluffy after washing, follow these tips:
- Shake the toy out well before drying it. It will help to fluff up the fur.
- Use a low heat setting when drying the toy. High heat can damage the toy.
- Fluff the toy up with your fingers after it has dried. It will help to restore its shape and texture.